Subject: [Leica] Gimme a break?
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:06:19 -0500

> Incidentally, painful as it is to admit, ad people are wonderful at titles.

We could call the project "Camay Bath Beads." Or "Dodge Valiant II."

How about "You deserve a break today!" (Now how did _that_ come to mind?)

<g>

- --Mike

Seriously, I would rather talk about Leica photography. A project like what
you're talking about is a huge undertaking, and it requires a hell of a lot
more than earnestness and hopefulness to bring it off. What you're most
likely to do is to waste a lot of time and effort and come up with a motley
collection of crap that collectively adds up to nothing. And, if I may be so
bold, I would venture to suggest that the brilliant core concept will, er,
occur to others...in fact, doubtless already has. Others, that is, who have
far better resources to bring it off. Such as a museum--for instance, the
institution that did it the first time. Anyway, I think the whole thing was
a dubious concept 45 years ago, and that in any event, its time has
emphatically passed. The original had a lot to do with the ideas of Albert
Schweitzer being current at the time, ideas that, to put it mildly, seem
quaint today.

Not that I mean to throw cold water, but most photographers don't even have
the discipline to complete a personal portfolio.

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] Gimme a break?)