Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 as a handheld meter?
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:07:37 +0200

>To chime in on the metering thread, and at the risk of sounding like I'm
>pandering to the faithful, I honestly think my favorite meter of all the
>meters I've ever used is...the one in the M6. To me, its coverage is just
>about right, neither too broad nor too spotty; it is just sensitive enough
>without being too sensitive; and it is--again, for me--unusually accurate,
>so long as it is competently used.
>
>Wierd but true--I used to occasionally "test" (activities that might as
>accurately fall under the heading "play with") meterless cameras (my
>Spotmatic collection, my old Zeiss Contessa, etc.), and I'd take the M6
>along as, well, a handheld meter.
>
>Okay, so it's a little expensive for a handheld meter. But it always did the
>job.
>
>I *like* that meter.
>
>--Mike

I like that meter too. Just yesterday I traded in my Minolta Spotmeter
(plus some other odds and ends) for a 15 mm Heliar.

There was too much bulk to carry with the spot meter, it took too long to
do the readings and transfer the measurements to the M6, and the results
were more or less the same as with the M6 (competently used, but that is
relatively easy). In doubt I will bracket, but not more than I did with the
spotmeter.

BTW, speaking about bulk, the Heliar is great: no volume, no weight. But a
bit difficult to put my orange filter on it.

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or
F-50590 Regnéville-sur-Mer, France