Subject: [Leica] Re: an idea for a contest
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:50:12 -0700 (PDT)

Byron Rakitzis <leica@rakitzis.com> wrote:

> Seriously, I don't have a lot of experience being a sugar-daddy. My
> suggestion would be to treat this carefully, and sotto-voce. Find a
> teacher at a fine arts college who can suggest a student you might
> sponsor, or something like that.

I'd tend to agree.

My understanding is that Brian wants 1) his Leica to go to a good user
home and 2) he'd like to involve the LUG.

If I were doing it, I'd probably take Byron's approach.  Approach a
local school and find an outstanding student who could benefit from
this kind gift.  I'd look into donating it to the school with the
stipulation that it be given to a promising and needy student.  By
giving it to the school rather than a student, you may be able to
write it off your taxes.  :)  I know that isn't the highest priority
here, but hey...when making a charitable contribution, you might as
well make it count.