Subject: RE: [Leica] 90 f/2 or 75 f/1.4
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:46:04 -0400

> realize that the 90 apo version is the newer and presumably better model
of
> the 90 f/2s available. I would rather sacrifice the extra stop in favor
of
> the extra focal length but I don't want to sacrifice the quality I saw
from
> the 75 1.4. Am I over thinking this? Any opinions appreciated.

Quality is a relative thing.  The 75/1.4 has amazing bokeh that will snot
the rocks off of the 90/2...  If you don't know what bokeh is, it is the
rendering of the out of focus areas, and something, in my opinion, Leica
lenses excel in.  I personally use the 75/1.4 almost full open every
opportunity I get...and the results are outstanding.  The 90/2 is in its
own right, a simply amazing lense also, and you won't go wrong with either
one.

I have posted an excellent article on bokeh on my web site:

http://www.darkroom.com/MiscDocs/bokeh.pdf

If you have any trouble getting it, please let me know and I can email it
to you or put it on the FTP server.