Subject: Re: [Leica] This tripod nonsense again
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 00:21:55 -0700

Austin Franklin wrote:
> > You know it occurs to me that you could aim a pistol much more accurately if
> > you could screw it down on a tripod as well.
>
> Not if the target is moving!

Hi Austin,

     The similarities between firing a pistol and snapping a camera's
shutter end at some point.  Where the pistol fires the bullet and that's
it, the camera's shutter must remain open for set lengths of time, like
1/125, 1/60 or even 1/10 of a second.  Interestingly, my Zorki has 1/25
of a second and than for slower there's B.  I can now estimate a 1/10
of second, 1/5, 1/2 and 1 second on B.  I'm not 100% accurate, but
close enough for black and white film.

     Sometimes, the camera can be firmly butted against a wall for the
exposure, placed on a table or other object; this gives suprisingly firm
support and there's nothing to set up.

     Also, we've gotten used to some unsharpness in available light
photographs.  I used to work with an 8x10 camera on a tripod and develop
them one at a time.  I now prefer the Leica camera, in the hand with
36 shots.  There is no question in my mind that we can accept both
visions as valid, setting aside our prejudices and preconceived ideas.

     In the earliest days of photography, there were NO hand cameras!
Now, we have the freedom to choose.

				Cheers,

						Rich Lahrson
						tripspud@wenet.net