Subject: [Leica] Re: Steady as she goes there, lad [y]
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:14:00 -0700

From: Roger Beamon >
>Ted mentioned helicopters; you
> have much time in them photographing. Breathing, heart rate
> and squeezing off the shots between heart beats in a chopper?
> Nah!
Roger, don't you know that when leaning out the open door of a chopper, the
approved technique is to *speed up* your heart rate to match that of the
rotor blades? With opposing flutter, vibration is cancelled entirely! On a
couple of flights, my heart rate has actually come close I think.

Seriously, here is an interesting observation. I have lots of Leica and
Hasselblad shots out of the Dolphin HH65A, mostly at 1/500th. The Leica
shots rarely show any sign of vibration. With the Hasselblad, at least one
out of every three shots at 1/500th shows some signs of vibration, even with
the 80mm lens. You would think the larger mass would help to dampen
vibration.  I use a double hand grip along with the mantra, "feet and seat,
feet and seat . . ." to keep all else from touching the airframe. In the
Cessna 182, I rarely see signs of motion with either the Leica or the
Hasselblad at 1/500th.

Anyone out there with a Ken-Lab K-6 gyro for sale? Now there would be a
steady "heart" for either camera!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger