Subject: Re: [Leica] R5, R-E --> Leica Rx
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 10:55:50 +0800

on 6/10/00 9:25 PM, Andre Jean Quintal at megamax@abacom.com wrote:

> I'm not convinced all mechanical is the future,
> to a profit seeking firm,
You are probably right - but the electronic SLRs Leica is coming out with
are going to be decreasingly competitive since they will be further and
further behind feature wise. A mechanical camera would be consistent with
the mechanical lens operation they are likely to stick to whether they like
it or not and at least they they could tout a unique set of virtues with a
flagship manual SLR even at very high price (together with rather than
instead of a cheaper auto body like the R8) instead of a mish mash of
underfunded obsolescent products. I speak of the SLRs: the M series can get
away with being out of date technologically because they a/ have no serious
competition (yet) and b/ have a sterling reputation in the marketplace.
- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography
Beijing, China