Subject: [Leica] Re: What, me worry?
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:20:05 -0700

On 6 Oct 2000, Donal Philby wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> ol' Bill doesn't have a social conscience.  Do you want him in
> charge of the information flow?

Was with you until this, Donal. I doubt that any of us know Bill
or enough about Bill to make that statement. If he corners the
market on information flow (for a while) ok. Nothing is forever,
though, and if we leave free enterprise alone (not our style,
however) there will spring up competition. Yes some get hurt in
the short run, but eventually...  Patience and the ability to 'tough
it out' is important in free enterprise.

> The deeper fear, of course, is that we are developing eccentially
> a corporate-run media.  In some ways this is even more dangerous
> than something like TASS or other state-run media, in that the
> appearance is of a free press with a free flow of information.

Nah! not with an informed and thinking citizenry, but admitedly,
this is a shrinking quantity. Nearly 40 years of 'dumbing down
the public' is paying off, bigtime. So, maybe your assumption
above is true, the more I think about it.

- --
Roger, List-Owner
The LEG (Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List)
http://www.topica.com/lists/leica

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (RE: [Leica] Re: What, me worry?)
Reply from "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org> ([Leica] Re: What, me worry?)