Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter 3 (1.5/50 ) review
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:15:18 -0400

At 04:39 PM 10/6/2000 +0200, Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy wrote:
>(As my contribution to group, I choosed to try to describe
>some of Russian lenses and provide samples & info about
>them. I know that this is not a pure "Leica" subject, but
>because this is a *users* group, these informations may be
>of some importance. There was some info about them in early
>Digests, like these from 1998, but not all. I hope I will
>see Marc Small someday, writing something like a series
>of articles describing Russian lenses in LTM <g>)

Ah, and I should do so, if there were 70-hour days and 15-day weeks!  Which
factory made this lens?  Quality Control is always an issue with
hand-assembled lenses and, to this day, the SPS world uses hand-assembled
production methods.

I love my late Jupiter-3 but I admit a few of the earlier ones I have owned
have been a bit rough.  The only SPS lens I have consistently seen problems
with, though, is the 2/85 Jupiter-9:  I would estimate that 1/3 of the
production were dogs, while MOST of the other lenses are much better in
terms of quality.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!