Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The Great Man
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:58:58 -0700

Dave Fisher wrote:

> [...]
he really was. Makes me want to get a really nice photo of him and throw
in a
frame. Ted....?<<<<<

Hi Dave,
Like you, I felt very bad at loosing someone who affected all Canadians
in such
away as he did. I wont go into the handshakes , dislikes and despising
of the
man at times, only to finally understand that he took Canada out of the
"olden
days" and put us on the map without a war doing it.  Like some
countries!!

Yep my wife and I shed a tear as we watched son Justin give his eulogy,
probably
one of the most moving I've heard.

The best photo I have of  Trudeau?  He's sliding down a railing in the
Chateau
Laurier hotel, arms held high above his head like a kid sliding down a
bannister
during the Leadership campaign '68. It was shot with an M4, 35 summilux
and
tri-x!  And I'm the only photographer to have it, because everyone else
ran down
the stairs and outside waiting for him to get in his car.

Let's put it this way, the Photo Chief of Canadian Press has always
considered
it the "visual epitome" of the beginning of the Trudeau era.  When it
was
rumoured he was medically in trouble a few months ago I received a call
asking
the right to use the picture in CP's Obit file they were preparing in
case of
what just happened.

For me it's the one picture that says what Trudeau was all about in his
youthful
approach to life and the world.  If your interested I'll send a print,
send
your snail mail address private:     tedgarnt@home.com.

A Leica side note to the picture:

When I cover a personality and they're on the move in crowds and
changing room
to room, I try to work within 15-20 feet and closer if the situation
permits.
Change exposures as I move before a picture happens, then the camera is
always
at the correct setting or nearly so. I keep the focus position about 10
feet.

So when Trudeau slid down the railing, I didn't see him start as I was
hurrying
to get ahead of him and outside with the others.  However,  I heard the
laughter
and I turned, there he was sliding toward me & I had time for three
frames...
sans RapidWinder in those days.  The first frame was the keeper, the
other two
were out of focus as he was right on top of me.  And that's how it
happened. :-)

ted
Victoria, Canada