Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 - to anyone
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:35:19 -0400

Sheesh....if you're going to take the time to answer this guy's question,
then do it right.

1) You set the speed of the film on the little dial on the back of the
camera.   The camera itself does not read the speed from the film.

2) Shutter speeds and lens openings are strictly set by you, the user.
Shutter speeds by way of the dial on the top of the camera, and lens
openings by way of the dial on the lens.  It is a very simple camera to
operate; set the shutter, set the lens opening, focus and press shutter
release.   Then wind film and repeat 35 times.  ;-)

3) The serial number is engraved (or stamped) on the hot show mount.

4) The metering system is independent of the operation of the camera.  The
camera is incapable of changing shutter speeds of lens openings on its own
due to a meter reading.  It is a purely mechanical camera.

5) When I bought my first Leica, an M4-P, I phoned up Wild-Leitz (The
Canadian importer at the time), and they mailed me a free copy of the
instruction booklet.  I suggest calling the local importer in your country,
rather than Leica in Germany.

Dan C.