Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Leica R death
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:06:33 -0500

I don't know how R8 sales compare with R7 or previous bodies (be interested
to know), but perhaps the (reputed) slow sales result from its being a niche
product for a niche sector of the pro/serious amateur 35mm market.  If
someone in Solms thought the R8 was going to compete with Nikon and Canon
for sales volume, then they need to get their DNA checked!
<<<<<<<<<<

Leica's financial statements have reported that R system sales have
dropped below where they were before the R8 and newer lenses, such as
the 70-180, were introduced. They have taken a particularly hard hit
in Germany (which is why Leica has done some TV advertising in that
country). The latest quarter's report shows R system sales
stabilizing, but at a lower level than they were at pre-R8.

I'm sure nobody in Solms thought the R8 would compete with Nikon and
Canon in sales volume. But I'm also reasonably certain that any
financial projections made in Solms when deciding whether it made
economic sense to develop the R8 did not include sales declining.

Larry