Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica dealers and other toy stores in Toronto
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 09:44:26 -0400

on 3/10/00 8:39 am, Peter Shier at pshier@mindspring.com wrote:

> I am going to be in Toronto later this week and although I probably won't
> have any time, are there are any Leica dealers or other large camera stores
> worth visiting there?

Alt Camera on Queen St two blocks east of Yonge is an Aladdin's cave. They
always have some interesting Leica stuff, very reasoonably priced too, but
the really amazing bit is the medium/large format place upstairs. It's like
the land that time forgot. Amazing, huge cameras, 100-year old gear, all
sorts of weird sh*t you thought you'd never see in the flesh. It's a lovely
shop and the staff are first rate.

Downtown camera, one block west on Queen, is okay in a thrift store kind of
way.

Henry's, one block East on Queen, is massively overpriced but well stocked.
Upstairs is much more interesting than downstairs.

Broadway Camera, which was the cheapest and in many ways most interesting on
that intersection, has now closed and is being invaded by the Henry's
megacorp. They claimed they were going to open up somewhere else but
secretly sold all their stock to Henry's and no new location seems to be
forthcoming, so I think they've gone for good.

Basically, go to Church & Yonge and follow your nose.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com