Subject: RE: [Leica] A really idiotic filter question
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:59:16 +0100

Nathan,
There have been four different filter systems used by Leitz/Leica over the
years.
First off, screw, usually described with an E prefix, at least in recent
years, e.g. E39.
Secondly, external clamp on, described with an A prefix, e.g.. A36, for
fixing to the outside of a 36mm lens head.
Thirdly, the short lived bayonet mounts for the Xenon, Summarit and a few
other lenses.
And lastly, the series filters held in place with a retaining ring or lens
hood.

Your filter requirements are presumably the first type, the number
following the E number being the filter thread size, in your case, 39mm.
Now Leitz were never one to let others muscle in to their market so they
vigorously defended their right to present the weirdest range of filter
sizes ever known to this planet. 39mm is one of the more common sizes but
you try looking for a 41mm or even a 43mm filter.
"48mm?"
"Surely you mean 49mm Sir?"
"54mm?"
"Come come now, shall we try something else?"
"67mm?"
	...and so it goes on...

Best of luck, frequently these sizes are available to order, especially
through the Germanic suppliers, B&W, Schneider, Heliopan etc.

Jem