Subject: Re: [Leica] Veiling Flare in an M4-P
From: "Mark Rutledge" <markrut@ticnet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:03:49 -0500

Bert,
    I have had this a few times on my M6 and it confused the hell out of me!
The first time w/ an old Summitar and then with a 35 Summicron pre-asph.
     The "fog" extends the whole horizontal length of the frame at the
bottom and even bleeds into the space between frames. The strange thing was
it started, like yours, a little way up the frame(don't have the neg in
front of me to measure) with an almost perfect straight edge.
    I checked the lens, camera back, camera bottom for light leaks with a
flashlight and found nothing. The baffling thing was I know there was no
direct sun on the lens and the Summicron even had a hood when it  occurred.
I checked the interior of the camera for anything "shiny" that may be
reflecting light. The only thing I saw that remotely could be causing it was
when the shutter was open the inside of the back half of the shutter
gate/path was unfinished metal. I'm not sure all M's are like this, so I
took a Sharpie and blacked as much as I could. I don't know if this helped
(haven't seen it again though!) but it was the only explanation I could
find.
Walt, you ever seen this?

Mark Rutledge