Subject: Re: [Leica] Color vs B&W Tally
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 15:48:29 -0700

Tina Manley wrote:

>>>>>>>>From some of the comments, I think the differences in monitors
and/or their calibrations must be more than I imagined!<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,

An interesting observation about monitors, as I've seen a colour shot of
mine on a half dozen monitors in various locations and hardly any two
are calibrated the same.

On one, the shot looked so bad, I wouldn't hire me to do horse dung
pictures! (cows maybe) ;-) On a couple of others I looked so good I'd
hire me to shoot anything!

And it's the variations of monitor colour, density, contrasts that are
so off on some computers, it's amazing photographers selling themselves
on their ability to shoot colour are rushing to put their images on web
sites, only to have the images trashed, or nearly so, by off beat monitors.

I realize this isn't the case with all machines, but the differences
I've seen scare the hell out of me. Certainly when I think of an editor
looking at a website of my colour work is going to decide to hire or
not, on the ability of his monitor to show my images to their best
advantage?  Now that's a scary thought indeed.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant