Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R death
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 16:31:12 -0500 (CDT)

The Olympus OM-series is an excellent complement to an M system,
although I doubt Olympus is interested in developing or even
making SLR cameras......

Years ago, the better pentaxes (spotmatic, MX, LX, etc.) were
nice "M" accessories...hehehe...

But how 'bout the closest thing to an M camera (quality of build,
lens quality, etc)?......a Nikon F or F2, with standard eye-level
finder (no motor, for us purists)....equipped with late 60s-mid 70s
lenses?....the closest thing to the mechanical quality of an M camera
and its lenses....however, one must choose lenses carefully....some
were outstanding by even todays standards (24 2.8, 35 f2, 50, 105 2.5)
where others were just acceptable (28 3.5, early 28 2.8, early 85, etc.)

Of the two, the F probably has the edge in build quality, but "minty"
ones are hard to find...($400 or so in todays market, IF you shop
around) The F2 has better 'feel', and 'looks', but is slightly more
complicated and has a coupla weak points that the F doesn't share.
(meter switch spring-even without a meter, shutter release stack can
break off easily, curtain brakes on VERY early ones gave a bit of
trouble, etc..)

Like Leica, the consensus is that the "peak" in quality came in the
mid-late 60s and early seventies.....although the consistency of
performance seems to be a shade better than Leitz.....
Nikkor lenses didn't have the "clouding" and "cement" problems that
plague earlier Leica lenses....most of them are crystal clear after
30-40 years...

I realize that some of you will say that an older "Leicaflex" body
is the same, and I'll concede that their lenses are even better
mechanically, but the Nikons are hard to beat....and compared to
today's "blob" slrs (F4, R8, Canon EOS) the Nikon with standard
finder is downright "small and handy".......

CU LATER<
Walt

On
Sun,