Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: What travel lenses (whither the 50)?
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 10:51:12 -0400

on 1/10/00 3:43 am, Jem Kime at jem.kime@cwcom.net wrote:

> Mike,
> When I learnt (at college) that those interesting black lines around the
> clasic poictures by HCB and others were made by the film rebate showing the
> edge of the frame I decided to follow that ideology.
> I only crop, maybe, 1 or 2 percent of pictures. I'd suggest that if anyone
> regularly crops then they're not getting close enough. And getting closer
> is different to getting a longer focal length lens.

You said it!!!!!!!!!!

With the Leica and the 28mm I do crop because the framelines are not
accurate and sometimes I don't get what I saw... and often I 'compose from
the edges' with this lens so a lot of the subject is out at the sides. But I
only chop about 2-4% of the picture area, just to bring it in line with my
original intention.

You're clearly right that frequent cropping is a sign of not being close
enough. But I would say something more... it's a sign of not *seeing*
properly what you are photographing.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com