Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: What travel lenses?
From: "M.E.Berube" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 09:38:04 -0400

Here is what I'm moving towards for a lightweight carry set:
Skopar 25/4, Older Summicron 50/2 (or new Nokton 50) and Elmar 90/4
(Can't do the collapsible lens thing with an M5 & CL so all the more
compact 50s are out.)

Currently if I need to travel really light I am happy enough right now with:
Summicron-C 40/2 and the Elmar 90/4 on the CL or M5.
(The 40 closes the gap a bit from a 35 and 50 and happens to work well with
my M5.)

My standard carry kit is:
Summicron-C 40/2, Elmar 90/4 (or Jupiter-9 85/2 when shooting in the darker
environs) and Canon 135/3.5 with the M5.
(A bit heavier than needed probably but I've got a good bag that I carry
all my "stuff" around in anyhow.)

I don't know why I still bother to carry the 135. It is a nice lens and
didn't cost much, but I rarely ever use it. Likely when I get the 25/4 next
week, it will replace the 135 in the standard carry kit. I like the 40 but
will probably replace it with a 50 (summicron or nokton) once I have the 25
comfortably in the kit. The CL also will be headed to Sherry soon as it has
completely locked up when fixed it will probably accompany the 40 to the
sacrifice table to make way for newer equipment.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com