Subject: Re: [Leica] Color vs B&W
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:10:47 -0700

Hi Tina,

Just like I say:

"when you photograph people in colour, you photograph their clothes! "

"When you photograph people in B&W,  you photograph their souls! "

The pink clothing takes the viewers eye away from her eyes, as well the
seemingly slight hint of "pink lipstick" I also find a distraction.

There's better eye highlight in B&W.

In the colour frame there are two subjects,  the colour of the clothes
and the subject herself. The eye is drawn back and forth.  Where as in
black and white the eye stays with the subjects face and eyes rather
than bouncing back and forth as happens in the colour frame.

I believe people subjects are always more powerful in B&W than in
colour.  Even images of war, famine and the down trodden have greater
impact in B&W.  If they weren't of greater impact, Natchweys book
INFERNO wouldn't be as powerful as it is.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Color vs B&W)