Subject: [Leica] Photokina questions answered; camera for the car
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:02:06 -0400

Luggers,
    To answer some questions from Photokina withOUT betraying any
confidences....
    There will be two new R-lenses in 2001. One will be a 15mm to replace
the discontinued Zeiss lens. It will be small, faster and sharper. You can
figure it out. This was mentioned at the LUG meeting.
    The other lens will be a zoom, that's all I can say.
    I did have a chance to play with the new M-motor. It is a major
improvement over the older units. It is lighter, and quieter. I only wish it
had a remote control outlet on it.
    Of course, Tom didn't like it. If it takes off, sales of the Rapidwinder
and Rapid Grip will fall off, and he will have to find "real" work.
    Leica Solms is actively working on a way to digitize the M & R camera.
They have a rather interesting approach, and when it finally appears, I
think everyone will love it. I'm NOT at liberty to say more!!!
    Finally, for the camera in the car question.... Why not just use a
single use camera?  They are cheap, you would feel bad, if it gets stolen.
Most likely, you will have to toss it because the film  expired than
anything else
    While I always leave some gear in the trunk of my car (usually lighting
equipment and tripods), I try not to leave cameras and/or film in the car
overnight in either very hot or cold weather.
Happy Snaps,
Sal