Subject: [Leica] RE: meaningless photography and...
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:52:48 -0700

>In terms of who is The Capitalist Photographer? On the one hand, Tina is
>right...it's who ever is THE vacuous advertising photographer of the moment
>who is making the most money....But that also misses the mark, I'm afraid,
>as those folks aren't consciously pushing a philosophy of any kind, they are
>selling product...which, I know, advances capitalism, but that's not the
>purpose of their photos, per se.
>
>As to who is the "anti-Evans," or "anti-Gene Richards" for that matter....I
>don't think there is such a person...Unless, as Tina has in effect argued,
>you would say that it is any talented, succesful, photographer who squanders
>his/her talent on socially meaningless work in return for large lumps of
>cash....WAIT!!!!!!....It's....
>
>ANNIE LEIBOVITZ!!!!!!!!!
>
>B. D.

I seem to recall hearing that Susan Sontag and Annie Leibovitz are good
friends. Wonder what they talk about?

Bill Franson

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (RE: [Leica] RE: meaningless photography and...)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: meaningless photography and...)