Subject: Re: [Leica] Photokina perspective
From: "Margaret Jeffcoat" <margaret01@excelonline.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 22:28:50 -0400

Erwin: You pose a very interesting line ( digital ) for us to ponder. Do you
really think that Kodak would have gone to all of the R&DO to come out with
this wonderful line of Portra films, as well as all of those new slide
films, to let us all high and dry in the next few years??
 I'm primarily in the Portrait business and I must tell you that the ads
that are running now in the states and the quality of the images are really
lacking when they go up against traditional film. Yes there are systems out
there that are really doing a great job, if you have the 50 to 100 thousand
plus to get it up and going. A question that is becoming very common right
now (from clients) "Will this be Digital" We say no! Client says "Oh GOOD! I
don't like that!" We are being forced in some ways to use digital, but it is
the "Hybrid" as you call it. We shoot on 2 1/4 ax 2 3/4 and then do 100 meg.
scan and direct out put printing (both color and black and white). This
really looks good, you really can not tell that it's not film. Why do we do
this, because it's convenient and a more exacting way of doing the finishing
art work that is a part of the portraits we design with our clients. It
allows us to do the art work one time and get very consistent printing
results time after time, regardless of the size of the prints we produce.
But we do a lot of straight printing of "C" prints (maybe 75-80% of our out
put) and I really do not see the death noel of traditional film and
printing, nor do the people that do our printing for us. They tell me that
we will be doing more and more, but that it will be a long time (5-10yrs)
before we are even in the 50/50 film/digital area in order to keep our
businesses going. Look at Fuji and their new slide offerings, and the new
NPC professional film that they just released as well as four layer
technology with their other pro color negative films: these things don't
come down the pike for free. Do you really feel that a giant like Fuji would
not service both of these areas and work to keep film alive. My god man look
at all of those little point and shoot cameras out there, and more coming
everyday. They were made for one thing and one thing only: To sell FILM!!
(sorry I'm getting excited here). I think the rumors of the death of film
are greatly exaggerated. My 2 cents.
Cheers Wilber GFTBEx2