Subject: [Leica] filter slime
From: Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:03:22 +0200

My filters were slimed too.
I got last month some mc B+W filters from somebody and they took some real
cleaning up and they still could be cleaner. B+W could be having some trouble
with their new anti scratch coating.
So maybe it was B+W not B&H which was the culprit.
Markwr
<<<<<

Mark, I've had the same problem with filters, esp. B+W, but I suspect it's
due to the foam padding in the little box outgassing or something. It's
possibly due to storage in some conditions?
I had one polariser which was totally unusable out of the box, the first
one to wake me up to this problem. It was totally fogged. Since then I just
clean them when I first open the box and have found that quite a few have
the problem. They clean up fine.
I don't use filters very much, except skylights for protection, but if I've
seen the problem with the few I buy (3 or 4 a year max), it must be quite
common.
Rob.