Subject: Re: [Leica] Having a G1 moment
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 07:44:11 EDT

In a message dated 9/26/00 11:12:34 PM, donalphilby@earthlink.net writes:

<< I feel like I'm using a Contax G1 to
shoot the finish of the 100M dash in the Olympics and push the button at
just the right moment and the lens finally gets moved into focus and
captures the last place straggler. >>

Sorry, but I have to respond to this analogy. Sure, it's clever and all but
I'm not sure this charge is really fair . . .

Is your Leica instantly focused the moment you raise it to your eye? Mine
isn't. I have to turn the lens and line up the little rangefinder do-hickey.
That usually takes a split second or even more. Since I don't want to miss
the moment I usually prefocus my Leica and wait for the picture. Sounds
reasonable, huh? Now, wait, this is where it gets interesting . . . You have
to do the same thing with the Contax. Yep, you have to prefocus and wait for
the moment. If you wait to focus until the moment happens you will miss the
moment. Yes, it's true, just like with the Leica you have to think a bit when
you use a Contax. If  you want to slam the Contax that's fine with me but why
not slam it for things that really are bothersome -- like the focus noise . .
.