Subject: [Leica] More flash questions!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:41:04 +0000

Martin Howard Wrote:

>I need to take pictures of a few things to put up on eBay.
SNIP
>But, the problem I have is that there is too much 'glare' on chrome surfaces
>and in highlights. Any advice?

Howard,
At the risk of sounding repetitive, get some hot lights and you'll
figure it out.  And cheaper, too.  Get a Tungsten to daylight wratten
gel for the lens (tape it on if you have to) and use some cheapee lights
(<$5 at hardware store) and a couple white cards to bounce them into
(experiment), maybe a small mirror or two (the foot square ones for
glueing on walls are perfect).

I have recently been doing a number of pix of collector quality rifles
and shotguns for a friend's web site in the works to buy/sell and doing
it all with hot lights.  Granted I'm using a lightform panel above to
create giant (relatively) light source but also using a Lowell small
spot to add accent.  I can get the surfaces just the way I want and
control the 3D shadows on the the engraving and the shinny highlights
and make the character of the wood in the stock so rich...     Some of
the pix have shown up on the gun version of Ebay and my friend is
getting email about the pix quality.  All shot with hot lights, blue
filter, daylight neg film, 60 minutes lab and flat bed scanned. Stand
'em up, shoot 'em down.

Strobes without modeling lights is like driving while blind.  And even
with modeling lights, you need a polaroid.

If you are really into self abuse, talk to Kyle, and maybe he can do an
essay on you and your project.  Otherwise.....!

donal
(muttering about horses and water, or was that mules?)
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com