Subject: RE: [Leica] Suzy Q, again
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:00:47 +0100

arthur,

a little context would be nice.

by excerpting provocative statements such as these, with no
contextualization, you are pushing readers to react in a defensive, indeed
a negative way, as paul did. (and i don't mean to criticize you, paul,
yours was the appropriate [i.e. desired] response.)

to judge a book/writer on the tiny, discreet moments of their work with no
consideration for the larger thought behind it - whether or not we 'agree'
with the writer (as if that were a criteria for anything) -  demonstrates a
profound lack of good sense on our part.

for example, were we to judge plato based on alfred jarry's selective
excerpting in 'dr faustroll' (he quotes *only* words like: "thus," "and so
on," "etc.," "and so forth") we might conclude that plato was a man with
little to say, and few words to say the little he had to communicate.

guy