Subject: Re: [Leica] IIIf ASA dial
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:36:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/00 6:08:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
billakata@hotmail.com writes:

<< The camera is a IIIf "red dial".  What
 function does the ASA/Weston setting dial serve?  Why is there a black
 setting and a red setting? >>

I have long been troubled by this same question about roulette wheels, as
well.  I believe you have described what is (or was) commonly known as a
"film reminder dial".  The flat dial on the back door of the M series (prior
to the M6, which uses the dial to set the meter) performs the same function.
The black numbers are to be used for black & white, the red for color.
Professionals using more than one body for a shoot, with different films,
would have found this a useful feature, as would the typical amateur, who
might shoot a roll over a period of weeks and need to be reminded as to what
was in the camera.  Later, superior technology made the reminder dial
obsolete by giving us DX coding in plastic bodies with clear plastic windows
through which we can now look right at the fim cassette!  As we know, Leica
insists on continuing to make those heavy old bottom loaders, with no end (or
DX coding, thank the Almighty) in sight.
I probably should have looked this up...

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net> (Re: [Leica] IIIf ASA dial)