Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome exposed age?
From: Evan J Dong <ejdong@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:26:07 -0400

Doug and Everyone ,

I have been following this thread for awhile, I have quite a few
questions to ask of this group.

Apparently, I have 17 rolls of unused Kodakchrome 64 in 35mm size that I
purchased new when I was planning my trip to Europe. Like this thread on
old Kodachrome, the film was purchased back in June 1985 and HAS BEEN
refrigerated ever since. I originally purchased 2 brick of Kodachrome,
but forgot to bring 1 of the 2 brick of them on my trip. The original
expiration date was for Nov. 1986.

Before the questions begins, I will try to include the history of the
film.

The film was purchased from B & H Photo and included film processing, it
has the mailing envelope inside. The film are all labelled KR135-36P on
the outside box and on the film canister itself, it is labelled KR36 and
there is a small label stating the following:

	FILM PRICE INCLUDED PROCESSING BY KODAK

However the film was manufactured in England, as this is stated on the
box, but not on the film canister. I believe at that time, most photo
shops sold film that had the most profit built-in for them. I assume the
early stages of Gray Market film, but was not represented as such.

Now the questions:
1. What type of film processing is this? Is it just Kodachrome processing
or is it Process K14?
2. Since the film was refrigerated sine I initially purchased it, do I
assume that there would be minimal amount of color shift? Or am I wrong
to assume this?
3. What type of color shift can I expect and would it be very noticeable?
4. Is the paid film processing still valid after all these years?
5. Any recommendation as to which Kodak lab I should use for the film
processing?

I thank all in advance for any advice and help that comes my way.

Evan Dong

On 24 Sep 2000 14:28:30 -0700 telyt560@cswebmail.com writes:
> On Sun, 24 September 2000, info@borderless-photos.com wrote:
>

> > > Matt,
> > >
> > > If they say something other than "Process K14" you're out of
> luck.
> > > Since they've been in the attic for "at least six or seven
> years" is
> > > suspect they're gonners even if K14.  If they'd been in a
> freezer
> > > that's another story.
> > >
> > > Doug Herr
> >
> > I recall hearing about a lab in Boulder Colorado that did
> specialize in
> > older processes. I have no idea if they could handle Kodachrome.
> > My interest at the time was in some old E4 film that I had,
> > exposed, for over 20 years. As it was IR and likely cooked, I
> didn't
> > pursue it, but I may be able to dig out the contact information if
>
> > you're interested.
> >
> > Tim
>
> The lab in Boulder Colorado can handle K12, but since the K12 color
> dyes are no longer available from Kodak they can only process to
> B&W, for about $22/roll.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/telyt
> Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
> page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
> web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.