Subject: Re: [Leica] More lens trouble
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:47:13 -0400

RDD5TK@aol.com jotted down the following:

> I'm very concerned. I bought this stuff with the idea its going to
> outlive me (I'm 49), not an unreasonable assumption is it? I've been shooting
> for nearly 30 years and early on heard about and have wanted Leica. My
> initial response to using the gear is I love it and sorely wish I had gotten
> it years ago. I am trying very, very hard to continue to love it but I don't
> know if I can keep the faith if or when one more thing goes down. I've shot
> Nikon since the mid eighties, owned lots of their stuff all the way through
> their current AF offerings and never, ever had anything new (less than 5
> years old) to fail.

Well, RDD5TK, you've discovered the dark secret of the LUG.  We're all payed
by Leica to get other people to buy their gear (secretly we all use Nikons
and Canons instead), because no one would ever buy it if they tried it
first.  In fact, you're lucky that only two things have gone wrong, but wait
another couple of months and the rest'll fall apart too.

Actually, Leica NJ is not really a representative for Leica.  They are a
cover set up for the trans-Atlantic postal services, which was seeing
business decline a few decades ago and so they ship stuff back-and-forth to
Germany.

> Since I am fairly new to Leica, please tell me, is this
> type of thing common or am I experiencing a run of bad luck?

Well, which do you think is more probable...?

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |              Shit happens.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |