Subject: Re: [Leica] More lens trouble
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 09:06:11 -0600

The next time your lens jams up, and it is not under passport warranty, I
would suggest that you not smack it against a table. I know all too well
what repair people think when customers try to repair something in the field
by smacking it. Ninety nine times out of a hundred it does not produce
successful results, and, you are very lucky that the passport coverage is so
generous. Any other camera company would not have done anything for you
regardless of what triggered your angry outburst in the first place. As far
as I am concerned this story illustrates what lengths Leica service goes to
keep even unreasonable customers happy. I am impressed with them.

I also have heard reports of problems with all different brands of camera
gear. All companies maintain repair facilities and not just to sort out
accidental or deliberate damage.

The only work I have had on my Leicas was either caused by me through
inadvertent abuse or neglect; or, serving required after many years of
excellent service.

John Collier