Subject: [Leica] More flash questions!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:17:48 +0000

Martin Howard wrote:

>OK, I know about diffused lightsources.  But in the PT article I read, the
dude used two small, $20 vivitar flash strobes, and no diffusing (other
than
a little scotch tape over one of them), so there must be some way of
doing
it well without using diffusors or cards.  Besides, if I start using
white
cards as either reflectors or diffusors, I've got to buy EVEN MORE DAMN
GEAR
>to hold the flipping cards!

Martin,
The only two things scotch tape on the strobes will do is cut light
output (as a neutral density filter) and spread out the light for more
coverage.  To make it softer you must increase the size of the light
source.  Do this by bouncing off ceiling or wall.  Alternatively, cut
the power so you are at least a stop under the ambient and all you will
do is change (improvement takes skill) the character of the light.  A
little white card will maybe double the size and spread more light.  Can
help if walls and ceiling white and close, otherwise.....

Try what I suggested earlier:  Aim one strobe at the ceiling and get the
other one off camera a ways and go to work.  The key to using these
little wink lights is work with the available, not try to create the
light.

Domke used to make small ac modeling lights you could attach to smart
strobes so you could see the effects.  You might find those useful.
Better to just get a couple of cheap tungsten lights and play with the
bounce and the direct and you'll soon see what is happening.  Do it in a
dark room so you isolate the lights, then turn on ambient and see the
difference.  Doing the old exercise of shooting an egg on white paper is
very instructive.

As for MORE DAMN GEAR, remember about the possibility of free lunches.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish and whether it is worth it
or necessary for the the job at hand.  The one, single most valuable
thing you can do for any portable strobe I've ever used is put a warming
gel (Rosco 1/4 CTO) on it to get rid of the blue.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com