Subject: [Leica] light
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:43:32 -0700

Alan Magayne-Roshak wrote:

> (I get the digest, so I'm always a little behind the posts.)
>
> On Tues. September 19, 2000, in answer to a question from Martin Howard,
> Donal Philby wrote:
>
> > Just as an aside, to really learn lighting, I would suggest starting out
> > with a couple cheap tungsten lights from the hardware store.  Shoot BW
><Snip> uperior to nature.  I say that this is a master stroke, and proves that
> with genius art is not entirely subject to the necessities imposed by
> nature but has laws of its own."
>
> - Goethe, during a discussion on a Rubens landscape in which two sources of
>   light can be seen: Eckermann's Conversations, 1827
>
> Alan Magayne-Roshak

I'm of the one light school.
When you walk down the street how many lights are shining on you?
That big main light in the sky, that's who!
Horst P. Horst learned and taught one light lighting to Helmut Newton and others
and I read about it early on and subscribed to it. I'd rather use the white
floor or a reflector for fill than a second light.
I just use a second light head to light up the backdrop, that doesn't count.
The main thing is the quality of your main light. It's size and distance from
it's subject.
Mark W. Rabiner
of the Monoluministic cult
:)