Subject: Hoax WAS: [Leica] WOBBLER virus
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:14:23 -0400

These are very old hoaxes.  They don't exist.

I am a computer director by trade and am amazed by all the virus hoaxes
I am constantly being forwarded by concerned users.  For a good
reference on virus hoaxes take a look at:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

In general, hoaxes share some common characteristics.

1.  Statement that a new and dangerous virus has been discovered.
2.  Some "authority" is cited.
3.  Description of the terrible things that it will do.
4.  Admonishment to forward the email to everybody you know.

The last item is the key thing here.  When I send out real virus
warnings I never say to forward the message at all.

Don't feel bad about being fooled.  Many many people are.  And in
general, it IS better to be safe than sorry.

John