Subject: [Leica] Beginner B&W Question - Indoor Available Light
From: Alastair Firkin <AlastairF@bhs.grampianshealth.org.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:22:45 +1100

Hi Alastair,
can i go slightly off this topic and ask you about your opinion about film
scanners?
I intend on buying a film scanner but am restricted in the models that i
can buy because i have a laptop - i need a USB film scanner - which tend
to be the 'low-end' scanners..
one scanner i have seen lately has an optical resolution of 1800 dpi and
is a USB scanner.. is this scanner a waste of time? should i buy myself
a desktop computer so it can support a SCSI scanner?

ive never used a film scanner before and rarely used a flatbed scanner
but am keen to start digitizing my images.. because i also have access
to a CD writer..
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Matt,

I am probably not the best person to ask. I have an old Nikon Coolscan. The
first model. Its slow slow, slow, but the quality has always been OK. I've
been scanning for 5 to 6 years with it, and my one piece of advise is buy a
fast one ;-)

Cheers