Subject: Re: [Leica] Beginner B&W Question - Indoor Available Light
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:30:55 -0400

Mark Rabiner jotted down the following:

> My personal opinion is that 4x6's from labs tend to lower everything to a
> common denominator.
> What if MOONRISE come out as a 4x6?
> Ansel might have not bothered to make a 5x7 out of it!

OK, I buy this, to a certain extent.  I can agree that getting a set of 4x6"
prints, rather than a contact sheet, there is the risk of viewing the 4x6s
as some kind of "finished product", rather than a tool for evaluation.  You
make do, rather than critically evaluatate something that clearly cannot be
a photograph on its own (a frame on a contact sheet) as a step to really
making the photographic print.

Conclusion: I still wouldn't disregard 4x6s completely, but it does place
the onus on the photographer to see beyond the prints.  OTOH, contacts file
much easier...

M.

- --
Martin Howard                | "Once you understand the process of co-
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU  | ordination, it's much easier to avoid.
email: howard.390@osu.edu    | Knowledge is power."  -- K. Christoffersen.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] 4x6 the evil size)