Subject: RE: [Leica] My new M3
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:55:14 -0400 (EDT)

Buzz:

Thanks for the advice.  I was trying to determine whether I needed to get
it CLAd immediately or not, and how bright (relative to other things) the
finder would be in the best case.  Obviously it will take a little time to
check out the function and condition of the finder.  I know very well that
these things cannot be determined by "remote control" but it is perfectly
legitimate to ask by comparison what a clean finder should look like.  The
insurance on shipping Leicas alone makes this worth asking.

And please don't assume that because I was not thrilled with M6 means that
I bought an M3 to bitch about it - since I got it for use with telephotos,
something I use Canon LTM bodies for now.  I am quite familiar with the
use of manual, high-mag  bodies for this purpose.  The major difference
is that the M3 takes bayonet lenses and is about half the price of an
M6 0.85x TTL.  There is no expectation that the M3 be super modern - I've
succesfully used much older and much more difficult equipment.  It was a
great camera in the 1950s, and it continues to be now.

My only gripe on this group with the M6 started when people started
attacking the Hexar, spontaneously, without much in the way of objective
proof and with much insult, speculation and innuendo.  I didn't write the
infamous "list," which was later attributed to me solely by virtue of the
fact that I didn't kowtow to some view that autoexposure would make you
go blind.  The ridiculousness of the whole thing is that Leica makes a lot
of things with autoexposure, DX coding and worse.  The M3 was a radical
departure from the other equipment of its day, too, if anyone remembers
that Leica continued its LTM lines for a while afterward.  Would the same
people on the attack now be attacking the M3 when it came out?

Not every question about a Leica should trigger vitriol - it's not worth
burning your stomach lining out over.

And now, lunch hour is over.

Cheers
Dante Stella