Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder topics Corrections
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:06:33 -0700

Greetings Erwin,

its surprising to me how much you seem to think you know about the internal Leica
M finder changes which produced RF flare, considering at one time you claimed on
the LUG that the problem did not exist and that there were no internal finder
changes. hmm.

unfortunately you still do not have it right, if Horst Braun, the head of repair
at Solms, and many repair people are to believed. According to Horst and to people
who have completely disassembled the finders, the change occurred about halfway
into M4-2 production, which totally invalidates your claim here about the finder
modification occurring due the addition of the 28 frameline.  At that point in
time Leica was fighting for its survival and the continued production of M's was
in question.  Horst confirmed the finder was changed primarily due to cost
cutting..  It helped, Leica has survived.

Yes, I will be happy to observe your copyright, but I will also thank you to
observe mine.  The correct information on the M finder change has been copyrighted
on my site several years now.  If you decide to correct the mistakes in your
upcoming article, kindly cite the source and the site.

Stephen Gandy

imxputs wrote:

> Rangefinder topics.
>
> I have hesitated for a long time to discuss the topic of rangefinder flare and
> accuracy. It is a theme that deserves some close reading and open mind
> approach. Let me start by noting that the rangefinder mechanism is extremely
> complicated as an optical and engineering construct.

> And without a firm grasp
> on its inner working, it is easy  to draw inferences that seem plausible, but
> are not.

yes Erwin, but someday your objectivity and accuracy might improve.   I can't help
but wonder if your slant on things Leica would be a bit different and more
objective, if you and your magazines always bought Leica  equipment outright,
instead of depending upon the good will of Leica and Leica distributors to provide
you with loaners for testing.

> [...]
> could be met, but the internal meachnism had to be changed. During this
> process, the enigmatic condensor was dropped, not because of cost cutting to
> save the company as one observer has proposed, but becuase it had no longer
> any functional value.
> The tendency to flare under some conditions is a characteristic of the M4P and
> all M6 finders, but it is not absent from the M2/4/5 finders. It is however
> less pronounced and it is indeed almost absent in the M3 finder which is based
> on a different optical/mechanical construct.
> Some observers persist in stating that this state of affairs is due to
> costcutting and cheapening of the finder. It is not. The current M6 finder is
> as complicated and costly as an M4 finder (as example). The parameters however
> are different and the price to pay for the possibility of several
> magnifications, more framelines, brighter finder and more clearly delineated
> rangefinder spot is this propensity to flare. One may argue that this is a
> high price and that would make sense. I am sure Leica designers are aware of
> the trade-offs and will not rest until a solution may be found eventually. The
> changes of the rangefinder construct during its lifetime from M3 to M6 0.58
> can be documented (I have an article in preparation for this topic) and I will
> argue that these changes are made to accomodate the additional requirements
> and not to cheapen the mechanism to save a few bucks. Such a conclusion is
> embarrasingly devoid of factual knowledge of the optical and engineering
> paramters..
> I will also argue that the current requirements (more functionality and less
> propensity to flare) can not yet be solved as it is a equation with too many
> unknowns. If any one knows about the stubborn resistance of the intricacies of
> rangefinder mechanism to all these demands, it are the designers themselves.
> Not to have a solution is not equal to not working on one.
> Compare the Hexar with the new 0.58 finder and you see that the designers of
> both companies had to make decisions. The Hexar has a  dimmer finder with less
> visibility of framelines and less propensity to flare. The M 0.58 has a very
> bright finder, excellent clarity of the rangefinder spot and clearly defined
> framelines and still somewhat more flare sensitivity, but less than the 0.72.
> Evidently none can square the circle as yet.
> Another topic is the accuracy of the 0.58 finder. My updated website has new
> computations for the 0.58 and I can tell you that the 0.58 can be used with
> full confidence with the 1.4/50 and the 1/50 and the 2.8/90 and with good
> confidence with the 1.4/75 and 2/90. Of course when all conditions are in the
> negative,the 2/90 will be on the limit. But there is no calculation or
> practical experience that precludes the use of the 2/90 and all the others on
> a 0.58.

> In my view the 0.58 might be bringing the 0.72 to a marginal role.

when pigs fly.