Subject: Re: [Leica] Incident Metering - resources needed
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:25:43 +0100

Not sure about others but I use method b. with my Hasselblad.  I hold the
meter in front of the subject and point it towards the camera so that I get
a reading of the light falling onto the subject.  If I want fill-in flash I
may take the incident meter reading behind or to the side of the subject as
I want to expose for the surroundings and use the flash very slightly.  The
tricky subjects are those with strong sidelights, especially where you do
not want to use reflectors to balance the light across the subject but
rather keep the sidelit component.  I usually point the meter away from the
subject and between the light source and the camera.  Works pretty well most
of the time.

To be honest it probably does not matter where you point the meter as long
as the light falling onto the cell is the same intensity as that falling on
the subject.  This is certainly the case when taking landscapes and shots
where you cannot approach the subject easily.  The obvious alternative then
is to take the reflected reading.

Simon