Subject: RE: [Leica] high-eyepoint?
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:25:22 -0700

Actually I think "high-eyepoint" is a bit of a colloquial term.  As I
understand it, it's a viewfinder whose image that subtends a smaller visual
angle than usual (i.e. it has reduced magnification), and thereby makes life
easier on eyeglass-wearers.  Nikon made both a regular and a high-eyepoint
("HP") prism for the F3 - the screen image in the HP finder is smaller.

Of course in an SLR the utility of a high-eyepoint finder stops there - it
works the same with lenses of any focal length.  Because the image
magnification is independent of focal length on a rangefinder, a lower
magnification finder makes it easier to see wide-angle frames.

The 0.58 finder on the new M6 is aimed specifically at users of 28/35/50
lenses, so I bet it's going to be a very natural fit with the new Tri-Elmar.