Subject: [Leica] Which Leica M6 should I buy ? (VF's)
From: goldman@math.umn.edu
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:18:57 -0500 (CDT)

Mark;
	You got very angry at me and others for comments about the M6
viewfinder.  Now you write

	"I shot a couple of rolls today into the sun and out and all over
the place. I guess I don't always see all for sides of the frame but it
did not get in my way. I just clicked the shutter and go with the force.
I'm somehow under the impression that I have a vague idea what the picture
is going to end up composed as. I don't look at a contact sheet or slide
and think. "that's not how i wanted that composed!" not ever"

	Well I do care about precise composition and I would like a
precise camera system to help me achieve this.
	I recently shot the performance of a play using an M5 (not a six)
and a 135 Tele-Elmar.  The lighting was so difficult that the framelines
often disappeared. In many of my shots the performer's feet were cut off.
The force was not with me.  This is the first time I ever had the M5 flare
on me. With the M6, it was quite frequent and under reasonable lighting
conditions. Hence, I will continue to use and love the M5 and, may the
higher powers forgive me, my Hexars. I promise never to love the Hexars.
	I know that an SLR would have been better in the theater, but the
noise level would have been unacceptable.
	I love Leica M's and have used them for over 35 years. There are
problems that may be very bad for me, but not for you (e.g., flare).  An
important part of the LUG is to talk about these problems to inform
others, not to diss Leica.
Jay Goldman