Subject: Re: [Leica] wristwatches
From: "Simon Coates" <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:26:12 +0100

>Simon,
>I noticed in their ads (yes, I was looking... they do have a certain
>appeal to me :-) ) the lack of touting the chronometer.  Do they
>actually enclose the little certificate, or do they simply make a fine
>product that is made to those standards?  Are they now putting
>"certified chronometer" on the dial?  How does this work?
>John

Have a look in the current catalogue, Chronolog 2000 - here they are writing
about the fact that they are the first watch manaufacturer to produce all
their watches as official chronometers.  This is a change from previous
years, where only the solid 18K gold watches were official chronometers.
The others were simply manufactured to chronometer standards, so I suppose
Breitling decided to prove their product quality by making their watches
official chronometers, with very little extra manufacturing costs.

My Chronomat GT was one of the first imported into the UK with chronometer
status, and this is stamped on the case back.  Some of the watches in the
collection have it placed on the dial, and some on the case back.

Incidentally, according to my local dealer, a chronometer test is only
important to a mechanical watch; a quartz watch would pass the tests easily.

Simon