Subject: [Leica] Magnum 50th anniversary exhibition
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:33:20 +0200

This afternoon I had the pleasure of seeing the huge Magnum exhibition
in Zürich Art Museum. In contrast with many such retrospective shows,
this one only includes work by Magnum photographers from the last decade
of the 20th century. The title of the exhibition is "Essais sur le
monde"--yes, even here in German-speaking Switzerland the French title
has been retained. Pretty much all Magnum photographers are represented,
even HCB with a couple of portraits, which are unfortunately not very
good and probably included only because they were taken by the great
man. But some of the other work on display really bowled me over,
especially Josef Koudelka's documentation of the pollution and decay in
the industrial area where Poland, the Czech Republic and Germany meet.
And not one artsy-fartsy "work" in sight, perhaps with the exception of
some collages by Rene Burri. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland