Subject: Re: [Leica] wristwatches
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:38:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/00 9:13:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
barney@ncep.noaa.gov writes:

<< Harrison's struggle to make a chronometer wasn't to make
 one which always had the correct time on the dial, it was to make one
 whose error rate was unaffected by the humidity, salt, temprature
 changes, and constant aceleration and deceleration caused be going over
 waves.  >>

Absolutely right.  As I said in an earlier post, any watch with that degree
of accuracy can be regulated so as to keep perfect time, with a bit of trial
and error.  BTW, I saw a very well made recent film depicting the incredible
history of the development of the marine chronometer.  It is unforgettable.
The name is "Longitude".

Joe Sobel