Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Why are LTM versions so expensive
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:02:53 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/00 12:08:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
MEB@goodphotos.com writes:

<< t would seem to me to Leica's advantage to make LTM as their default mount.
 Is there any image quality lost when using an LTM version with an adapter
 as compared to the M mount version of the same lens?
 By making LTM lenses default (sold with an M adapter standard), Leica might
 encourage a few budget minded folks to use classic or new C/V LTM bodies
 instead of buying an M body first, but they would also make their lenses
 more adaptable and desirable to a broader market without lessening their
 dedication to their current M clients or costing themselves huge amounts in
 retooling.
 If anyone sees a flaw in this logic please point it out.

Flawless.  The problem is that the E. Leitz marketing experts evidently
decided in about 1957 (I'm not looking this up!) to encourage sales of M
bodies over TM bodies by discontinuing TM lens mount production, along with
TM body production, knowing that others, notably Canon, were still producing
LTM bodies and lenses.  They did not want to encourage cross-pollination
then, and it is doubtful whether Leica wants to do so now.  Probably the more
interesting question is why Konica opted to go with the M mount,starting with
a clean sheet of paper.  I suspect they wanted to appeal directly to M
owners, easy adaptability of LTM to M regardless.

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Re: Why are LTM versions so expensive)
Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Re: Why are LTM versions so expensive)