Subject: Re: [Leica] Color to B&W in Photoshop (OT)
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:55:23 -02-30

At 08:18 AM 16/09/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I've got to turn some scans of color neg film into B&W digital images for a
>newsletter. What's the easiest way to make the change in Photoshop 5.5?

The "logical" thing to do is convert to Greyscale mode...  BUT!  I have had
MUCH better success by scanning in colour and then using DESATURATE to
remove colour.

The reason being that you retain the extra "depth" of RGB over greyscale
thus achieving what appears to be a better quality image with regard to
tonal range, sharpness and contrast range.

This also lets you "tone" the image should you choose.

I'm no Photoshop expert but I use it for professional work and use the
functions I need.
This technique works well for me. Play with this until you get what works
for you.

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart