Subject: Re: [Leica] Forbes article on mechanical wristwatches
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:32:36 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/00 12:15:15 PM, howard.390@osu.edu writes:

>Time is a social construct.  You *cannot* buy a watch which tells what
>the
>time is, since the current time is essentially arbitrary.  There is nothing
>to say that the time my mechanical Swatch shows is any more or less accurate
>in absolute terms than the most expensive atomic clock on the planet.
>Consequently, certainly every watch fails that basic task and is therefore,
>by your definition, a piece of junk.
>
>Absolute statements are meaningless in a relative world.

Oh brother . . . If you want to say we should all throw our watches in the
trash and not worry about what time it is, that's fine. I can go along with
that. But to say it's OK to show up progressively later for work as the month
passes on because a $10,000 watch shouldn't have to keep time as well as the
$29 wall clock at the office then I have to say, "that dog won't hunt." If
you want to wear a lousy watch as a toy, plaything or status symbol be my
guest. But as timepieces go, you can do better picking up a $10 watch at
Walmart.

Bob McEowen