Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V18 #1
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:00:43 -0400

Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com> wrote (edited):

> I've always been fascinated by the effects of the
> dissemination of ever larger amounts of information,
> ever faster, to an ever-widening audience. Books,
> then newspapers, then radio, wirephotos, television,
> and now the net. I'd have to say that overall the
> effect is much more positive than negative.
>
> So I feel numbed by the constant flood of misery
> pics - but what would I feel if I'd never seen those
> pics? I'd feel precisely nothing, because I'd know
> precisely nothing. At least now I do know what sorts
> of things go on in this world.

This brings to mind the lyrics from The Police's "Driven To Tears":

How can you say you're not responsible?
What does it have to do with me?
What is my reaction, what should it be?
Confronted by this latest atrocity
Driven to tears
Hide my face in my hands, shame wells in my throat
My comfortable existence is reduced to a shallow,
     meaningless party
Seems that when some innocents die
All we can offer them is a page in a some magazine
Too many cameras and not enough food
This is what we've seen
Driven to tears
Protest is futile
Nothing seems to get through
What's to become of our world?
Who knows what to do?
Driven to tears

Of course it's the images recorded by all those cameras that have driven the
narrator to tears, awakened his conscience, in the first place.

- -Dave-