Subject: RE: [Leica] quiet cameras in cathedrals?
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:00:28 -0700

You remind me of the other side of that coin that I once experienced.  At a
Unitarian wedding I was chewed on by the minister for five minutes in front
of the whole congregation for taking a single shot of the bride and her
father coming into the church, after I had been told "no pics during the
ceremony".  It was a humiliating experience for everyone present, and a real
shocker to me - I was raised Unitarian and they are about the most
laissez-faire bunch one could imagine.

It just goes to show that peoples' reactions about what behaviours are
intrusive and disrespectful varies all over the map.  While common courtesy
may mitigate against, say, shooting flash pictures during a religious
ceremony, it's obviously not something that everyone finds offensive.
During Catholic weddings I've been urged up onto the altar to shoot with
flash during the ceremony _by the officiating priests_, with the
enthusiastic acceptance of the bride and groom.

People are a funny lot - it never pays to lay down hard and fast rules about
them...

Paul