Subject: [Leica] Re: Ball & socket blues
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:44:05 +0100

George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net> asked:

>Are you having these difficulties with the Leitz Table Top Tripod
and the Leitz Ball Head or some other brand? Your description
seems so far afield from my experience.

Both are new Leica (not Leitz) items - which probably explains why a
bit fell off the B&S head when it was unpacked on Xmas morning (grin).

While John Collier <jbcollier@home.com> provided the suggestion:

>As to your problem with the camera slipping on the head, I loosely
screw on the head,
lock the body of the tripod head at 90 degrees (parallel to the camera
body)
and use that as a "lever" to tighten on the head.

Thanks for the ĎTripods 101í lesson John - it sounds like a good idea,
and Iíll give it a try.

Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com> commented that:

>I've had a very different experience...The ball is solid as a rock
when tightened
down.
>Some people don't like the fact the there is no friction in the ball
head,
that it's either locked or loose. I'm one of those people who prefers
it
that way.  No Arca-Swiss friction for this guy.

The ball indeed locks solid - thatís not the problem. But when itís
free, Iíve got the weight of a Leicaflex flopping around. Instead of
feeling like the camera is mounted on a tripod, it feels like the
tripod is an appendage of the camera. (Itís like the joke about the
guy who fitted a Noctilux to his CL - when he tried to focus, the
camera turned!). Iím worried that one fumble could result in a crash.
I think Iíll look for a small B&S with adjustable friction in the
hopes that I can get into a situation where the tripod is always
supporting the camera while the ball is free. That way I could move
the camera against the friction until itís in the right location, then
lock the ball. Is that how the ĎArca-Swissí works?

Regards,
Doug Richardson